Monday, December 7, 2009

Reusing packaging cardboard for shipping boxes

I'm embarrassed to say that it's taken me this long to figure out that the greenest source of shipping boxes for my handmade jewelry is to make them myself of cardboard that I would otherwise recycle. The cardboard used in cereal boxes and similar seems about right.




I opened the box along its seams and cut out an appropriate chunk, then laid out a simple box plan on the inside. The bicycle chain earrings that the box will contain are shown.




I used scissors to cut out the shape and separate the glue flaps, and then scored the fold lines lightly with a utility knife.




After folding all of the scored lines to about 90 degrees, it's ready to glue.




One drop of cyanoacrylate glue on each tab, and just a moment's pressing of each joint, and it's a box. Very quick, very easy, strong, custom, and extra enviro credit.




To ship these steel filings earrings, which have rare earth magnets at their cores, I needed to keep them separated so they didn't grind together throughout shipping. So I just glued up a little insert, into which I put a small bag of filings to renew the earrings on arrival or as needed.


2 comments:

  1. ...I should point out that these little boxes then go in nice padded mailers. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are all the very creative and innovative techniques to re-utilize and recycle these card board boxes into wrapping and packaging material stuffs and also for the shipment purpose as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!