Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Toaster sculpture!

Our toaster broke. Everyone was very sad. Except me.



Nothing personal, Oster T. Toaster, but I've got an oxyacetylene torch with your name on it. I set myself the challenge of making something interesting.

I misled Oster about his name, by the way. But I do like what it does say.



So, after discarding the non-recyclable plastic and saving the wiring and electronics for other purposes, here's what's available.





When there are obvious faces, it seems foolish to ignore them.



First time with the cutting attachment. It is, apparently, wildly oversized for the thin steel I am trying to cut. The preheating flame burned through immediately without oxygen, so I just melted the face away instead. Not the intended result, but an interesting one.



And the direction is set.



Hmm. No.



Yes. OK, time to find the rest of the body parts. Hmm...







And there it is! Time to switch the torch to the welding tip and braze this guy together.



I'm going to need a bigger quenching bucket.



This seemed like the point where adding things would make it worse and not better. So it's done!



There are more and better photos of the cleaned up sculpture in my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!