Sunday, June 27, 2010

Welding a custom bike chain ring

I had an interesting custom order recently, for a bicycle chain ring in a custom size. As a set of closed links, there's only one ring size possible with standard chain, and it's very small -- about 5 3/4. To make a custom size, I'd have to weld the links closed.


I started by turning a sizing guide in a piece of 2x4, and then wrapped a length of chain around it to see where cuts would be needed.


There was an excess section of inner link that was preventing the ring from closing around the form. I removed that material on the grinder until the ring could close, and then rounded off the corners.


The next step was to remove part of the extra outer link, but leave a section in place to be welded. I cut it off with a hacksaw and checked the fit again.


That's about right. I reshaped the cut edge of the outer link on the grinder before welding.


Here is the custom ring, ready for welding.


With the link welded closed at the correct angle, the ring is ready to wear.


This one was too big for any of my fingers, but it made a good thumb ring.


These rings are available made to order in my shop, here: hardwareaesthetic.etsy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!