Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Welding a bicycle frame instrument stand

I play keyboards in a Tom Petty tribute band called Full Moon Fever (fullmoonfever.ca). I don't like my commercial keyboard stand -- I play seated, and it has an X-shape that prevents my knees from fitting below my instruments.

I also have a lot of bicycle frames lying around, stripped of their parts for jewelry and sculpture. I thought I'd use the tubing to weld a custom keyboard stand.

The front forks fit into the seat tube, and if the forks become the base of the stand, then the down tube becomes the top support, and the height to it is just about right. Convenient!



I marked the down tube to be long enough to hold my organ, and cut the top tube long enough to support my piano and reach back to the seat tube to be welded in place.



The freed section of frame consists of the remainder of the down tube, the support section of top tube, and the head tube joining them. I flipped it over and checked the fit. So far so good.



To complete the base of the stand, I cut the rear stays and dropouts free of the rest of the frame, and moved them down to meet the front forks.


I marked the length and angle of the top tube and cut it to meet the seat tube.



The section of down tube still attached to the head tube slides nicely over the remaining section of top tube. So there's the basic shape: standing on the dropouts, with a long support for the lower keyboard and a shorter one for the top.



With the seat stays cut to meet the front forks and clamped in place, it stands up and looks about right.



I wire brushed all of the joints free of finish, then welded everything but the section that will hold the lower keyboard. I want to reserve the option to adjust its fit later when I make the other side of the stand from another bike frame.



I tried a test fit with the left half of my keyboards still supported by the commercial stand. It works!



In the next post, I'll describe making the left side support like this one, and then a base and custom pedal board to hold it all together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!