Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cutting a scrap steel cowbell

I have been cutting sheet steel with the oxy-acetylene torch so far. It's fun and exciting, but I get very poor results. For this cowbell, I tried a cutting wheel in the angle grinder and used a length of slotted angle as a guide and fence.


The results were encouraging. I took a photo of each step in the process:










At this point I had gotten a bit zoned into the through cuts, and I needed to avoid messing up on the remaining stopped cuts, so I put a bit of red tape at the stop point.







That last little triangle of material between the back and mounting bracket can't be reached by the cutting disc. I clamped a length of slotted angle along both sides of the cut line, snapped a vise grip plier onto the waste, and wiggled it back and forth until metal fatigue set in and it separated near the line.



Nice and neat, minimal post-cutting cleanup required, and I've saved myself a lot of grinding with this refinement. I did flip the workpiece over and grind away all of the cutting burrs.


Then I wire-brushed the inside clean of all enamel and grunge, for weld preparation and finished appearance.


Ready to fold!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!