Thursday, February 25, 2010

Persistence in the face of turning disasters

I resolved to finally finish my nemesis bowl, whether it liked it or not, and so I firmly grabbed it by the base. I planned to figure out a way to deal with the chuck marks later.

After truing the rim AGAIN, I took my time and peeled away the central column with facing cuts from the bowl gouge. It had been my attempt to take a shortcut by cutting through the column near its base that had caused my massive catch last time, so I just grit my teeth and did it the slow way.


A chunk of loose end grain came flying off while I trued the rim, and it left an interesting shape. As I hollowed, I lost another piece.


In this photo you can see how I tried to fair the trued rim back into the out-of-true bowl body. It came quite smooth with a little sanding. And you can also see that another chunk came tearing away. I do love my helmet.


That's about half the rim gone. I won't be reversing this to finish the foot! Turning half a bowl is interesting, as you can see right through the side of the bowl as it rotates. It's a new perspective on the tool.

I finished the hollowing and smoothing of the bottom of the bowl with a round scraper, and then resorted to hand sanding to remove the substantial waviness left in the remaining wood. I also used the 120 grit cloth abrasive as a shaping tool to refine the jagged edge left by the breaks.



Very interesting, and well balanced by accident. There's more hand sanding to do, but I want to solve the problem of the broken foot next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!