Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Finishing a bicycle frame keyboard stand

Having found that a single bicycle frame is readily cut down into one side of a support stand, I chose another frame and prepared it in a similar way.



It was a different size and of different geometry, so I took some time to ensure that the top supports were level.



Can't ask for better than that.



When the alignment was right, I clamped and welded the base.



The next step was to commit to the placement of the lower support tubes. I aligned the first so that it was both level itself and potentially level with its counterpart on the other frame. (There's a limited range of adjustment.)



Once I had tack-welded that support in place, I leveled across to the second frame and positioned its lower support to match. In the photo above, you can see that the lower support tube on the second frame hasn't been cut and is still crossing the angled vertical tube.



And here are both sides of the stand, welded and ready for cleanup.



To keep the left and right support frames from toppling over if I get excited, they are fixed to a plywood base. I marked and drilled through fir support blocks and inserted axles to hold what were formerly the rear dropouts of the bicycles. The frames just slide over the axles and then rotate up into position, firmly attached.



I positioned my pedals where I like them, and nailed thin strips of wood in place to hold them there. It's nice that they don't slide around now.



To clean up the look of the stand, I wire-brushed all of the old finish off the frames.



Down to bare metal, I like their look a lot more. I coated all of the metal parts with wax as a basic rust barrier, although I will have to keep that finish maintained as it is not very durable.



With a couple of coats of black stain on the plywood base, the stand is complete. Custom fit to me and my keyboards, interesting to look at, and more comfortable to play at.



I also like the fact that, other than the hunk of plywood I had lying around, the stand is made of abandoned and recycled parts.

Similar instrument and other stands and tables are available by custom order from my shop. If you're interested in knowing more, please contact me at david@hardwareaesthetic.com.

1 comment:

  1. This is so cool and original! The end result is amazing! Good work!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!