Thursday, September 23, 2010

Turning a bark-edged bangle

I prepared a stack of bangle blanks a while ago. This time I chose the interesting bark-edged one on top.



It's always best, but I find that to avoid knocking bits of bark off as I turn, I have to keep the gouge very sharp and the cuts shallow. The bark itself dulls the gouge quickly, so there's more sharpening involved. But it's worth it.



Once the shape is developed and the exterior rough-sanded on the lathe, I remove the core with the same hole saw that I used to mark it initially.



After some careful sanding and a walnut oil finish, here's the bangle! It sold quickly.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!