Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Setting up and firing a new oxy-acetylene torch kit

Metalwork in general and welding in particular have become more and more interesting to me. I'm excited about the possibilities of integrating torchwork with my woodworking. After studying books and videos, I felt brave enough to purchase an oxy-acetylene torch kit and try it out. I recorded a rather long video about it, embedded here. First flames at four-oh-four.



I'd like to acknowledge the helpfulness and respect I was shown at the welding supply store I chose. I'm used to having to wade through some condescension when I don't really know what I'm doing, but I got all of my questions answered and was sold what still seems like just the right stuff and no more. Show some love to Praxair at 400 and Finch in Toronto.

2 comments:

  1. Nice tutorial video. I'd add that you need to find somewhere sensible to keep your gas where it can't build up if it leaks and have a big sign incase the fire department needs to pay a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good points, Andy, thanks! I do store my cylinders in a ventilated detached garage, but I will look into an appropriate sign.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!