Saturday, November 28, 2009

Tool setup for small-batch bead making

I've been making softwood beads out of a weathered old trellis from our garden.





For the last two batches in this style, I kept the sectional dimensions of the sticks and just sliced beads off. For this batch, though, I wanted to make beads that are small enough for simple bracelets. So I milled them down to 1/2 inch square on the tablesaw first.





Slicing beads from the battens is tedious at best, so I set up my benchtop bandsaw with an angled stop and catch bucket to make things easier.



The stop isn't acting as a fence, and the wood is not in contact with it when it enters the blade. But it makes it easy to quickly eyeball each slice, corrals the pieces, and helps direct them toward the parts bucket clamped to the back of the table.



Here's a quick video of the setup in action.



It saves a lot of time to catch the beads.



I set the tablesaw fence to 1 inch and took a corner out of a scrap of plywood to make a quick drill press jig. My first setup had the dust collection chute pointed into the corner, and it whisked the first bead away the moment I released it. It gets all the dust and none of the beads where you see it.


The sliced and bored beads, ready for dyeing and abrading.


2 comments:

  1. I'm jealous of your bandsaw. I'm holding off on upgrading my equipment. I'm using a 30 year old table saw that came with the house, but if I get into serious woodworking, I need to replace it and get drill press and band saw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Matt, I really like my little 8" benchtop bandsaw. I think that they are inexpensive and useful enough that they're worth it even if you plan to buy a 14" bandsaw later.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!