Wednesday, November 4, 2009

And sometimes they break

When I cut a 1/2 x 1/2 inch batten for chisel-cut beads, I ended up with a long sliver that was 1/2 x 1/8 inch in section. It was springy and light and seemed to want to be a bracelet. I pictured it bent around a form and bolted closed, with just enough springback to make it easy to get on and off.

I drilled holes for a pair of Chicago bolts, cut and shaped the edges, and sanded the batten to 120 grit, knowing I'd have to finish-sand after the grain was raised by the bending process.





I don't have a steam-bending setup, but this piece is small enough to boil in a largish kitchen pot. I liked how the maple beads looked with a coffee dye, so I figured I'd boil the workpiece in coffee until it was softened.

I had prepared the dye earlier that morning.



Softening up the thin batten only took a few minutes, but I boiled it for almost 15 minutes in the hope of deepening the colour.



When it seemed like time, I removed the wood with soft tongs, drained it quickly on a paper towel, and began carefully bending it around a form. It bent easily, but showed weaknesses at spots where the bend would sharpen. And when I closed the bolts and tried to straighten out the curve on the form...



Notes for next time: cut a choice of battens and flex to test for weakness, inspect for sharp changes in grain direction. Don't drill before bending. Leave long, trim and drill (carefully!) afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!