Sunday, November 8, 2009

Finishing chisel-cut beads

In previous posts I described chisel-cutting, refining, and dyeing and tumbling some maple beads. I wanted them softened, not round, so I took them out of the tumbler after a day or so and rinsed them thoroughly.




Definitely moving in the right direction. They needed to dry for another day or two next, so I set them aside.





Once dry, the beads were ready for a coat of walnut oil. (I like to use non-toxic, renewable, washable oil or wax finishes.) I actually put them in a small container, drizzled some oil over them, and tossed them like a salad. But I did find it necessary to hand-polish each bead with a lint-free cloth to remove any excess oil before setting them aside to dry yet again.



I'm really pleased with the simple bracelet that I strung to show off these beads. There is so much variation in shape and colour within the simple form.



That's certainly a technique I'd try again. I think that next time, I'll take more trouble at the bandsaw to separate the beads cleanly, and maybe even scorch them a bit before tumbling to further complicate matters.

1 comment:

  1. This bracelet is now available in my shop here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=34188666

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!