Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tooling up for metalworking

I'm excited by the possibilities in adding metalworking to my bag of tricks. In addition to an oxy-acetylene torch, I indulged myself in a grinder and some wheels. Here's a photo tour of what I've assembled so far.





My brazing station. I've built up two layers of fire brick over an air gap to make metalwork on a wooden bench a not completely unreasonable proposition.




On the fire bricks: welder's goggles, striker, flux-coated brazing rod. On the bench, scrap slotted angle for supporting workpieces, a plumber's flame guard for use as necessary, more brazing rod. Not shown: leather gloves, shop apron, forced ventilation.




Clamping and holding tools. If it moves when you push it, it will move when the torch pushes it.




Fire extinguisher, solvent, bucket and gloves for cleaning parts.




Wire brushes, files.




Grinder, wire brush wheels, coarse and medium flap wheels, grinding and cutting wheels.

And it's shop night tonight! I hope to make a few interesting things.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!