Friday, November 6, 2009

Success with boil-bending at last

On my third and fourth tries bending maple strips by boiling them in coffee, I was able to get it to work reasonably well. None of the bracelets are going to end up as I originally envisioned, but that's usually the way.

Here's the third batch in the pot with the beads.




And bent around the form.



If I do this again, I need to take the time to build up a ramp so that the strip is fully supported at the spot where it first crosses itself as it wraps around. Both of these pieces have damage at those spots that I'll have to cut away.





On my fourth attempt, I used a thin, long strip, and tried to push it into the pot like spaghetti.





I captured a video of the strip coming steaming out of the pot, and of the bending and clamping process.




And here are the future bracelets.


3 comments:

  1. The first bracelet from this batch is now listed. Photos here:

    http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=34060846

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do it for the colour. The urban maple I tend to use doesn't always show attractive figure, and the warm brown wash from the coffee tends to enhance the grain but blend the blotchiness.

    For all I know, the alkaloids in the coffee might make the process harder or be bad for the wood. But so far I've been getting really nice results, especially with the coffee-boiled beads.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your response! For quality control purposes, all comments are moderated. Spam, profanity, and off-topic comments will not be posted. But since you are a kind and gentle reader of this humble blog, those warnings do not apply to you. Welcome!